Tuesday, February 26, 2013

English IV 2/26: Diego Rivera "Man at the Crossroads"


Click HERE to view a photo of the painting in its home, the beautiful Palacio de Bellas Artes in Mexico City. Viewing this can really give you an idea of how huge and magnificent this work is.

HERE IS A POEM I WROTE ABOUT THIS PAINTING:
there are too many voices in my head
here at the center of the universe.
and there are too many quiets lurking
behind the loud of being alive.

i am armed with terrible science
and teeth of frightful utilitarianism.
i am dying and
i am in love with my death.
like a machine
i move in measured steps
in a hall of trees,
parched and gray,
leaning in at the twin suns of my face.

the pack on my back holds millions of stars
and galaxies
and cornucopias of deaths, tears, and grins.
i no longer breathe
because i was balding the heads
of the richest planets.
i am a slow worm
wriggling to free myself from myself.

WORDS OF THE DAY
9. equanimity n. Evenness of mind or temper.
10. eschew v. To keep clear of.
11. euphonious adj. Characterized by agreeableness of sound.
12. exacerbate v. To make more sharp, severe, or virulent.

No comments: